We've taken our revolutionary YZ four stroke motocross technology and applied it to the enduro world. Rearward slanted engine, reversed cylinder, forward mounted fuel injection and a compact chassis are just some of the key features found on the WR250F. Delivering light, agile handling on tight trails, the WR is also a great choice for the experienced recreational rider too.
Performance: The latest generation YZ250F engine is the inspiration for the WR power plant. A forward mounted 44 mm fuel injection system supplies fuel to the 4-valve cylinder head, while the wrap around exhaust removes the spent charge and centralizes mass at the same time. A couple of items you won't find on a YZ250F is the WR's 6-speed transmission, electric starting and radiator cooling fan. Key improvement for 2018 are revised engine internals and ECU which help round out this top performing off-roader.
Frame & Suspension: The adjustable KYB suspension found on our WRs are considered by many to be the best in the business. Revised front and rear suspension settings for 2018 provides better rider feedback to improve performance and handling. The chassis design centralizes mass for fast, accurate, and agile handling.
- Engine: Liquid-cooled, DOHC, 4-valve (titanium), single
- Displacement: 250 cc
- Bore and Stroke: 77 x 53.6 mm
- Compression Ratio: 13.5:1
- Fuel Delivery: 44 mm Keihin throttle body F.I.
- Lubrication: Wet Sump
- Ignition / Starting: TCI / Electric & Kick
- Transmission: Wide ratio 6-speed transmission: primary ratio 3.353 (57/17); secondary ratio 3.923 (51/13); 1st gear - 2.385 (31/13); 2nd gear - 1.813 (29/16); 3rd gear - 1.444 (26/18); 4th gear - 1.143 (24/21); 5th gear - 0.957 (22/23); 6th gear - 0.815 (22/27)
- Final Drive: "O" ring chain
- Suspension (Front): Adjustable 48 mm inverted fork / 310 mm (12.2 in.) wheel travel
- Suspension (Rear): Fully adjustable Monocross / 318 mm (12.5 in.) wheel travel
- Brakes (Front): 270 mm, floating wave disc / twin piston caliper
- Brakes (Rear): 245 mm wave disc / single piston caliper
- Tires (Front): 80/100-21
- Tires (Rear): 110/100-18
- Length: 2,165 mm (85.2 in.)
- Width: 825 mm (32.5 in.)
- Height: 1,280 mm (50.4 in.)
- Wheelbase: 1,465 mm (57.7 in.)
- Ground Clearance: 325 mm (12.8 in.)
- Seat Height: 965 mm (38 in.)
- Fuel Capacity: 7.5 L (1.7 imp. gal.)
- Wet Weight: 117 kg (258 lb.)
- Colour(s): Yamaha Racing Blue
- Latest generation YZ250F based rear slanting engine
- Forward mounted fuel injection & mass centralizing wrap around exhaust
- Electric starting
- 6-speed transmission
- Bilateral Beam aluminum frame
- YZ based, adjustable suspension
- 270 mm front & 245 mm rear disc brakes
- 18 inch rear wheel
- Rad fan
- 35 watt headlight & LED tail light
- GYTR Power Tuner compatible (Competition Only Kit ECU is required)
Key Improvements For 2018
- Revised intake & exhaust port shapes
- Revised intake & exhaust cam profiles & valve springs
- Revised exhaust header pipe diameters
- Revised air box boot & intake manifold
- New lighter piston, new lighter piston pin & piston cooler jet nozzle
- Revised crank & connecting rod
- Revised frame & front engine mounts
- Revised 48 mm inverted forks
- Revised rear shock settings
- New Dunlop MXSF & MX3S tires
- Revised ECU settings
- Kick starter has been eliminated to reduce weight (it is available as an accessory)
Optional, hand held "GYTR Power Tuner" allows tailoring of both fuel injection duration & ignition mapping: 9-different setting points can be accessed for both fuel duration & ignition maps; maps can be stored & shared with other Power Tuners if desired NOTE:
- Revised, YZ250F based, "reversed" liquid-cooled, 250cc, DOHC, 4-valve (titanium), 4-stroke, single with fuel injection & electric starting: engine has been tuned for excellent "ride ability & controllability"; broad, easy to use power band; power characteristics optimized for enduro style racing or riding
- Rearward slanted, "reversed" cylinder design: rearward slant moves a significant amount of rotating weight toward the centre of the chassis; rearward slanted cylinder centralizes mass for excellent handling & a light feel
- "Reversed" engine design (FI system is front mounted, exhaust exits from rear of cylinder): FI throttle body & air box are front mounted, providing a straight intake path; straight intake path into the cylinder, provides optimum fuel / air flow for excellent power; front mounted intake design keeps fuel cooler since engine heat has less effect on incoming fuel (cooler fuel is more dense & increases power); design also helps centralize mass for light, agile handling
- Electric start with auto decompression system: unit can be re-started in any gear; kick starter has been eliminated to save weight (kick starter kit available as an accessory)
- There is no main ignition switch on this model: electric start button (RHS handlebar) activates the entire electrical system; kill switch (LHS handlebar) if held for a few seconds shuts down entire electrical system; design reduces weight
- Revised compact 4-valve cylinder head features a 13.5:1 compression ratio: new intake & exhaust port shapes for improved mid to top end power; titanium 31 mm intake valves & titanium 25 mm exhaust valves; 23.75 degree valve angle provides a compact combustion chamber; 4-valve design offers optimum flow & excellent power characteristics
- Lightweight titanium valves with revised load-reduced valve springs: Ti valves reduces reciprocating weight & allows for a higher rpm limit; revised load reduced valve springs (to match new cams) reduce friction; faster-revving & smoother power delivery
- Automatic cam chain tensioner: reduces maintenance & mechanical engine noise; special cam chain "sliders" reduce internal frictional losses
- Revised lightweight hollow intake & exhaust camshafts: revised intake & exhaust cam profiles for improved mid to top end power; provide a broad power band well suited to enduro style racing or riding
- Lightweight aluminum cylinder features a ceramic composite coating applied directly to the aluminum block: eliminates the heavy liner & reduces weight; excellent heat dissipation for consistent power delivery; ceramic coating enhances the thin film of oil between the cylinder & piston, reducing friction & increasing power
- Special cylinder "cutaways" allow air "trapped" under the piston to enter a side chamber (or cutaway): reduces horsepower-robbing "pumping losses"
- Crankcase also utilizes cutaways which match the cutaways in the cylinder for maximum efficiency: reduces horsepower-robbing "pumping losses"
- Revised lightweight, short-skirt, forged aluminum piston uses a 2-ring design: revised piston features new lateral ribs for added strength; 7% piston weight reduction for faster throttle response; single compression ring & a specially designed oil control ring that increases the surface contact area for better sealing; 2-ring design decreases sliding resistance, reduces weight & provides faster throttle response
- Revised piston pin: revised design reduces piston pin weight by 18%; friction reducing DLC (diamond like carbon coating)
- Revised piston oil cooler jet nozzle directs oil to the desired portion of the cylinder & underside of piston: reduces piston, cylinder & rod temperatures for excellent durability; revised design to match new piston
- Ball bearing style crankshaft: heat treated for strength & durability; balance ratio of the crank has been optimized to reduce vibration & improve torque feeling; new nickel-chromium-molybdenum steel connecting rod.; new molybdenum coated thrust washers on either side of the rod to reduce friction
- Crankcase features a tri-axis layout for the crank, main & drive axles: tri-axis design means lighter, more compact crankcases; centralizes mass for excellent handling; reduces the centre of gravity for a lighter feeling
- Lightweight YZ250F inspired crankshaft & connecting rod features a carburizing process for excellent durability: reduces vibration for improved rider comfort & less rider fatigue
- Lightweight gear driven counter balancer shaft: reduces vibration for improved rider comfort & less rider fatigue
- 6-speed transmission utilizes a 2-bar, floating shift guide system & a 14 mm shift shaft: smooth, positive shifts; good durability in the event of a crash (14 mm shift shaft)
- Heavy duty, multi-plate, clutch with quick access magnesium outer cover: clutch is designed for the rigors of enduro racing / riding; clutch action is light to reduce hand fatigue during extended events / rides; outer cover provides fast & easy clutch access
- 44mm Keihin throttle body fuel injection system: 10-hole injector with a 16 degree spray pattern; maximizes fuel atomization for more complete combustion & excellent power delivery; FI settings are specific to enduro type racing / riding; FI benefits include automatic adjustments to insure the optimum fuel — air ratio regardless of outside air temperature & altitude; other benefits include excellent starting & excellent throttle response; cold start knob also doubles as an idle adjuster
- Revised intake manifold: improved fuel atomization & top end power
- The injector spray pattern, spray direction & distance to the intake valves have been optimized. Forward mounted straight intake tract helps to maximize the benefits of the FI system & overall power output: 9-different setting points can be accessed for both fuel duration & ignition maps; maps can be stored & shared with other Power Tuners if desired NOTE: Competition Only Kit ECU is required for Power Tuner use
Competition Only Kit ECU is required for Power Tuner use Forward mounted air box features a washable, dual-stage, foam air filter: no tools required to access air filter; revised boot between air box & throttle for improved high rpm powerWet sump lubrication system: reduces weight (no remote oil tank or oil lines); eases maintenance (easier & faster oil changes)Easy access "cartridge-type" oil filter: fast, no hassle oil changesLightweight, single core, dual rads with electric cooling fan: standard cooling fan maintains consistent engine temperatures during slow speed, technical riding; radiator fin pitch is optimized for good air flow even at slow speedsMaintenance-free transistor controlled ignition (TCI): produces a strong spark for fast starts; provides precise ignition timing / mapping for optimum engine performance at all rpmsHigh capacity AC magneto (160 watts @ 5,000 rpm): exits from the rear of the engine & circles cylinder body; design ensures the optimum tuned header length; revised header pipe diameters for increased mid to top end power; maximizes exhaust "pulse effect" for excellent power delivery; centralizes mass by moving weight closer to the centre of the chassisRevised, lightweight, wrap-around exhaust system based on YZ250F design: exits from the rear of the engine & circles cylinder body; design ensures the optimum tuned header length; revised header pipe diameters for increased mid to top end power; maximizes exhaust "pulse effect" for excellent power delivery; centralizes mass by moving weight closer to the centre of the chassisLightweight aluminum / stainless steel muffler (aka silencer): multi-expansion design; spark arrestor equipped
- Revised YZ250F based, compact, lightweight "Bilateral Beam" aluminum frame: centralizes mass for exceptional handling & maneuverability in tight terrain; frame offers an optimum rigidity balance between strength, rigidity & tuned flex, plus excellent shock absorbing qualities; revised front engine mounts for improved handling; revised frame with wider spars in the swingarm pivot area (up to 12 mm wider); frame design offers excellent "rider — machine communication" (a.k.a. feedback)
- Lightweight, tapered aluminum swingarm: reduces unsprung weight for excellent suspension performance; excellent rear wheel traction & control
- Lightweight detachable rear sub frame: constructed of square-section, lightweight aluminum pipe with no bends; allows easy access when servicing rear suspension components; reduces costs in the event of a loop-out
- Revised, YZ250F based, 48mm adjustable, inverted, Kayaba "SSS" cartridge fork offers 310mm (12.2") of wheel travel: valving & settings are optimized for enduro racing / riding; new internal "free" piston design; revised fork seals with new scraper for improved cleaning/clearing in muddy conditions; front fork adjustments include: compression damping & rebound damping; optional fork springs are available through Genuine Yamaha parts.
- Fork features a twin-chamber, "Speed Sensitive System" design meaning the damper unit is in a separate structure (completely separated air & oil chambers) which prevents aerated fork oil from entering the inner damper assembly & degrading its damping abilities. Since the inner damper is pressurized, it also eliminates bubbles forming in the oil: TCV enhances damping from mid to full stroke & improves bottoming characteristics; TCV offers more precise control throughout the full suspension stroke; TCV is located on the upside of the spring & its function is controlled by piston speed, not piston position, hence the term "Speed Sensitive System fork".
- Fork also features a Transfer Control Valve (TCV): TCV enhances damping from mid to full stroke & improves bottoming characteristics; TCV offers more precise control throughout the full suspension stroke; TCV is located on the upside of the spring & its function is controlled by piston speed, not piston position, hence the term "Speed Sensitive System fork".
- Large "wrap-around" plastic fork protectors: provide excellent lower fork tube protection; "self-supporting" design reduces friction for smoother fork operation.
- YZ250F based, Monocross link rear suspension features a fully adjustable Kayaba piggyback shock with 318 mm (12.5") of wheel travel. Settings have been revised: revised spring preload, rebound and low speed compression settings; features separate adjusters for high- and low-speed compression damping; shock is in-line with the center axis of the frame for excellent control; shock setting have been revised and are specific to enduro riding or racing; shock adjustments include: threaded spring preload, low-speed compression damping, high speed compression damping and rebound damping.
- 270 mm floating front disc brake with Nissin twin piston caliper: "wave" style rotor (disc) reduces weight, improves cooling (more surface area) & improves styling; braking performance is excellent with great feel & control
- "Shorty style" adjustable front brake lever can be adjusted to fit various hand sizes: reduces centre of gravity & centralizes mass for exceptional handling performance; tank can be flipped on its back without disconnecting fuel line (easy servicing under the tank); 2.0 litre reserve portion ( low fuel light will illuminate)
- 245mm rear disc brake features a "wave-style" disc & single piston Nissin caliper & master cylinder: reduces centre of gravity & centralizes mass for exceptional handling performance; tank can be flipped on its back without disconnecting fuel line (easy servicing under the tank); 2.0 litre reserve portion ( low fuel light will illuminate)
- Rear caliper & lower portion of the wave style disc are protected by heavy duty plastic protectors: reduces centre of gravity & centralizes mass for exceptional handling performance; tank can be flipped on its back without disconnecting fuel line (easy servicing under the tank); 2.0 litre reserve portion ( low fuel light will illuminate)
- Lightweight, plastic resin 7.5 litre fuel tank with compact in-tank electric fuel pump is located under the seat: reduces centre of gravity & centralizes mass for exceptional handling performance; tank can be flipped on its back without disconnecting fuel line (easy servicing under the tank); 2.0 litre reserve portion ( low fuel light will illuminate)
- Adjustable handlebar holders offer a total of 4 different handlebar positions with an adjustment range of 30mm: suits wide variety of rider sizes; handlebar holders are rubber mounted for reduced vibration & improved rider comfort
- Compact body work: reduces weight & enhances the lightweight feel & look of the WR250F; flat design, "minimal" bodywork allows for fast, easy rider movements & a natural riding position; minimal design aids in keeping the body looking good (less plastic to scratch or damage); graphics are impregnated directly into the plastic rad shrouds & will not peel off or get damaged by pressure washing
- Flat seat design: provides easy rider movements; features a "cap cover" to access the fuel cap; non-slip seat cover material resists clogging with dirt or mud
- Lightweight digital meter assembly: functions include: speedometer, odometer, dual trip meters & clock in the basic mode; "race mode" features pace management functions including; timer & distance compensating trip meter; warning lights for engine trouble (FI system) & low fuel
- Rugged, 21" (1.60 x 21) front & 18" (2.15 x 18) rear D.I.D. rims & new Dunlop tires: excellent durability; reduces unsprung weight for optimal suspension performance & handling; 18" rear wheel improves puncture resistance (Vs. 19" designs); new Dunlop MX3SF & MX3S tires
- Stylish, slim design 35 watt headlight: headlight beam is adjustable up & down
- Brilliant LED rear taillight.
- Rugged plastic engine skid plate
- Convenient oil level sight glass
- Lightweight, extra wide foot pegs
- Folding shift lever tip
- Lightweight chain guide / support helps reduce chance of chain derailment & helps protect rear sprocket
- Heavy duty rubber swingarm protector (chain)
- Heavy duty sealed "O" ring drive chain
- Easy access GYTR Power Tuner & Yamaha Diagnostic tool connectors
- Sealed, no spill, gel type, low maintenance battery (battery should be charged during winter storage)
Every attempt has been made to showcase Canadian versions of our products, but all images, information and specifications may not be exact and are subject to change without notice. Some models may be shown with optional accessories.